Thursday, March 6, 2014

Sathu Maavu Kozhukattai / Nutritious Multigrain Dumpling


                       Sathu Maavu is the most recommended  baby food in Tamilnadu. The kanji made from sathu maavu is consumed by all ages. I remember my amma making this sathu maavu kanji both in sweet and salt version. Especially during summers the kanji mixed with buttermilk and salt will be a great soothers for the hot climate.

                    In my childhood days I spend my summer vacation in my Grandmas's Village. I was a very big fan of these sathu maavu urundai's / balls served in primary health centres and will be back of somebody to get these balls.

                    About this Sathu Maavu Kozhukattai is similar to urundai but with a simple changes made to them. I bought sathu maavu for making kanji for my kid, but she refused to have it. So tried making these Kozhukattai's. They were good that even my kid had some.
             


































Prep Time 20 mins
Cooking time 20 mins


Ingredients 

2 cups  Sathu Maavu/ Nutritious Multigrain Flour
1 cup Jaggery
1/4 cup Fried gram
5-6 tbsp Till seeds black
5-6 tbsp Moong dhal
1/4 cup Coconut (cut into small slices)   
2tsp  Cardamom powder
1/4 cup Water (for making the jaggery syrup)
As needed Water (for making the dough)


Procedure


1. First we have to dry roast fried gram, moong dhal until a good smell comes (No need to wait for golden brown colour). Then dry roast the till seeds until it splutters.

Cut the coconut into small pieces and roast it using a 1/2 tsp ghee.

Using the jaggery, make the jaggery syrup just by adding 1/4 cup of water (No need of any string consistencies). Filter the syrup for dust in it.





2. Put all the above ingredients along with the sathu maavu and make the dough. For making the dough you can also add water if required.


3. Now make the dough into balls. Take these balls and put them in the idli plate. Pour some water in the idli cooker and place the idli plate( with balls) in them and close the cooker. Allow it to boil. 
It nearly takes 8-10mins for these balls getting cooked fully. Transfer the cooked balls into a plate and then place some more balls for cooking.



                          Once done your sathu maavu kozhukatti is ready to be served. This has shelf life of three days as we are roasting all the items used in this preparation. Can give a try for this different recipe.



                      Note:

  • Checking whether the kozhukattai's has cooked can be done by this method. 
                           Take a spoon, dip the spoon in water and then poke the Kozhukattais, if cooked it will not stick on the spoon.
  • We can make these balls using rice flour, ragi flour and so on.






















4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I was reminded of this paati who used to go around distributing sathu urundai at TMP....I was lucky enough to be caught by her several times in a day and was generously offered huge balls of it every time.Did't think of it much then but i'm thankful for her love.Guess I can try it again following ur recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes ka.... aachi lived only for her kida and grandchildren... sure ka give a try...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u so much for sharing..... I must say.....it tasted soooooo good ....I was having lot of homemade Sathu maavu in my freezer which r all my kids left eating after 3 yrs.... As I didn't want to waste them I kept searching for some good receipe n finally found ur kolukattai receipe which makes me to have more n more.....I just added jaggery, cardamom n coconut....

    Sincere thanks
    Rajee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rajee for trying n feedback... hope you enjoyed so....

      Delete